Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Fighting Fit?

Last August I did something I never thought I would do.... I joined a gym! The reasons were: its just up the road from work (3 mins walk)- will be easy to fit into 3 lunchtimes if nec; it was a good price; and it would make me more disciplined (rather than trying to get on the exercise bike in front of the TV at the end of the day when I want to be in the land of nod. The main reason was that I need to lose weight so that I am comfy in my outfit for Lucy's (younger daughter) wedding in July.

I was good and kept going more or less 3 times a week right up till December and then it all fell apart. Various other things that I needed to do, including Christmas shopping and a general lack of interest in going prevented me. I started back yesterday........ and it was HARD..... I felt like I was back to square one (I probably am!) and realise that this is just because I am again, physically unfit due to lack of discipline (and allowing other stuff to get in the way - some of it good and admirable, some of it not so).

The parallel and question coming at me is 'am I spiritually fit' let alone spiritually fighting fit? At the moment, I don't think so. Having a nice long break away from work (16 days off) was great but I did the bare minimum as far as keeping spiritually fit. Things became rather dry........ and looking at it now through a still foggy mind I can see how being fit in spirit, body and mind, goes together - I can see just how important it is, yet find it so hard to do at times.

I tend to compartmentalise things...... for example - work, family/home, army. In fact my life tends to be compartmentalised and I struggle to integrate it....... and of course, me being me, it all gets a bit too introspective - especially at this time of year which I tend to struggle with.

Is God speaking to me and I just can't hear him for the noise? Has he led me into a wilderness for a time? Is he telling me to be still and know that he is God? Is he telling me to stop trying to be something/someone I'm not? To stop comparing myself with others? And, through it all I know that I am a Child of the King. I know that I am a Child of the Living God. I know I am the apple of his eye and that he rejoices over me with singing..... that last one always makes me smile! I know these truths and know I have to choose to believe them every moment of every day. But, when unfit, it is harder. God is faithful and I have resolved at the beginning of this New Year, to get fighting fit......... in his strength and with his help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home