Friday, September 21, 2007

Praying for lost loved-ones

Following on from Captain Andrew Clarke's 'Salvationism Out Loud' blog just thought I'd continue with a few tips for praying for our loved-ones who are lost.... and I suspect that most of us will have someone in that category. The list below came from teaching I received at Roots (UK) 2006 from a session by Major Jo Norton (Wandsworth).... and like Captain Andrew says about praying using scripture - this is dynamite prayer!!

USE SCRIPTURE:

1. 2 Peter 3:9 – “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance”
2. Isaiah 59:1 – “Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear.”

CRY OUT TO GOD WITH THESE SCRIPTURES:

1. Psalm 4:3 - “Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD will hear when I call to him.”
2. Micah 7:7 - “But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Saviour; my God will hear me.”
3. Joel 2:32 - “And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved;”

HOW HUNGRY ARE YOU?

1. Psalm 85: 6-7 – “Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? Show us your unfailing love, O LORD, and grant us your salvation.”
2. Isaiah 44:3 – “For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants”

PRAY IN FAITH:

1. John 15:7 – “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.”
2. John 16:23-24 – “In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.”
3. Acts 16:31 – “They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."
4. James 5:16 – “The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”

STRATEGY

1. 2 Cor 4:3-4 – ask God to hover over and ask Holy Spirit to lift the veil from them – “And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”
2. Weapons: Spiritual – always in the name of Jesus, plead the blood of Jesus, pray constantly, pray scripture over your loved one
3. Ask God for them to receive a direct revelation of His love and of their sin that they would understand the gospel.
4. Pray over everything about them

SUMMARY

1. Pray their heart is prepared and softened and that they receive good seed.
2. Pray that God will prevent satan from snatching away the seed
3. Pray that the veil is lifted from them and that the Holy Spirit hovers over them
4. Pray that the root of pride is broken
5. Pray that they will come to true repentance: (a) Receive forgiveness but also (b) make Jesus Lord of their life.

2 Comments:

Blogger rehoboth said...

Hello Ann,

Just getting back into blogging again now our internet is up and running and found your blog again.

Harvest week-end seemed to bring it home for me that so many in our Corps have partners, children or parents that have yet to come to faith.

If you don't mind I'd like to download the teaching part of your blog for the prayer room. It seems to me that the Lord might be leading us to focus on this.

God bless

Praying for you

Carol

8:48 pm  
Blogger Ann said...

Yes I'm fine with that Carol and agree with you very much. Meant to say on Sunday that Sask, Jane and I were very impressed with the prayer room..... you've done a good job. Thanks for your prayers.
God bless.

7:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home