Thursday, June 28, 2007

Psalm 139

Psalm 139

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

5 Comments:

Blogger petros said...

Hi Ann

Spoke at the Home League yesterday and my theme was "Oopsa Daisy" moments and people in the scriptures that needed God to just come alongside and pick them up, dust them down and set them upright to continue in their walk for him. I used Job and all that happened to him, but through it all he continued to talk to God and God said "Oopsa daisy" Job, and after it all, restored to him more than he had before. David was the other, all the things he went through, and look what God did through Him. We see in these Psalms you've quoted, how David kept in contact all the time with God, even though he became very frustrated. The last person was Naomi and all that she went through with the loss of her whole family, but God said "oopsa daisy" Naomi, here's a companion in Ruth, your daughter-in-law. God cares.

I concluded that I've often wondered why I'd been brought so low on occasions, but I've discovered in hindsight and I see that those are the moments when I've seen God the closest and had to rely on His encouragement the most. If I just look around for Him and listen to His voice I know he's there even when I'm down and I know I can get through anything when I have Him with me. God has that way of giving us His presence and saying "oopsa daisy". It's going to be okay. You'll get back on your feet again. May be we need to be thankful for these "oopsa daisy" moments .... :o) .... not always easy :o)

Love ya Ann ........ God Bless Pete

10:02 am  
Blogger Brian's Blog said...

Hi Ann,
A couple of days ago I got some music out to have a look at. The music and words were written by a young girl called Skye Parkinson who is part of Sotera Music Ministries. (Adelaide Congress Hall Corps ~ South Australia)

I just thought I would share the words with you. Blessings.

EVERLASTING

You have searched me Lord
You know my thoughts today
You are familiar with
My actions and my ways
Before a word is on my tongue
You know what I will say
Before I have begun
You know what I will think or say

Chorus
I can't escape
You're everywhere
You're knowledge of me is so deep
And yet You care
Examine me
Lord keep me true
So close to You
Lord lead me in the way
Everlasting

You created me my inmost being Lord
Oh how I praise You for
Your works so wonderful
You saw the days ordained for me
My future in Your hands
It's hard to comprehend
How precious are Your thoughts to me

Chorus.

10:53 am  
Blogger youthwork southwest said...

I'm working my way through the Psalms in order as part of my morning devotions...it's pretty intense at times...

I'm writing my thoughts as I go along, often finding that I'm challenging what appears to be going on, both in the Psalms and my own journey. Through it I'm getting my eyes opened wide.

Ann, you're in my prayers...whatever is happening. You know where to find me if you want to be specific about prayer requests.

12:51 pm  
Blogger Ann said...

Thanks Pete.... that was really helpful - I know it to be true and know Him to be Faithful as He's never let me down before. As you are prob aware, its not God I'm struggling with.... just people (nothing new there!) I just need to have some time away and concentrate on Him... thats what I feel anyway. God bless - love & prayers.

Thanks Brian for sharing the words of that song - so appropriate and much appreciated. God bless.

Thanks Martin too, and for the assurance of prayer support - I may well be in touch re specifics when things have settled down and I have a bit more clarification in my muddled head.... God bless

6:40 am  
Blogger Brian's Blog said...

Lord, continue to reveal your wonderful, amazing, life changing, love to Dick, and Ann. Amen

5:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home